Ideal LASIK Candidate
Refractive surgery is not for everyone. Not every patient is a candidate for LASIK eye surgery. Although LASIK has helped millions of people reduce and even eliminate dependence on glasses, it is important to not assume that LASIK is the best option for you.
In addition to having a complete eye exam to find out if you are a candidate for surgery, there are certain questions you should ask yourself before considering LASIK or other refractive procedures. The best way to determine if you are a good candidate is to be evaluated by Dr. Cutarelli.
Typcially 8 out of 10 patients are good candidates for LASIK. The ideal LASIK patient is:
- At least 18 years of age
- Stable vision for the past year
- Adequate corneal tissue thickness
- At least 1 of the common types of vision problems:
- Myopia (nearsightedness)
- Hyperopia (farsightedness)
- Astigmatism (football shaped cornea)
- Presbyopia (age related loss of near vision and accommodation)
- Overall good health
- Strong knowledge of the benefits and risks of LASIK
Not a LASIK Candidate
If you have any of the following conditions, you would NOT be a candidate for LASIK:
- Conditions such as visually significant cataracts, glaucoma, corneal diseases, keratoconus, or certain other pre-existing eye diseases that affect or threaten vision
- Collagen vascular diseases, such as rheumatoid arthritis, or significant problems with wound healing.
- Refusal to participate in informed consent process
- Not having realistic expectations
The vast majority of LASIK patients are thrilled after their procedure. However, it is important to remember as with any surgical procedure, the outcomes may differ. LASIK cannot provide perfect vision every time for every patient. The final outcome of surgery varies from person to person due to different rates of healing. Take the opportunity to ask questions and discuss the procedure with Dr. Cutarelli.
The Cutarelli Vision Promise
Dr. Paul Cutarelli is first and foremost concerned about what is best for you as his patient and strives diligently and with great care to achieve the goal of your best possible vision. We invite you to call us today for your personalized consultation.
Englewood, Colorado Office
Map and Directions
7887 E. Belleview Avenue, Suite 180
Englewood, Colorado 80111
Fort Collins, Colorado Office
Map and Directions
2105 Bighorn Road, Suite 106
Fort Collins, Colorado 80525
Dr. Paul Cutarelli performs advanced technology diagnostic testing and treatment, as well as taking the time necessary to provide each patient with information needed to fully understand his or her condition and to achieve the best possible visual outcome.