STAAR® Visian ICL Implants − Denver & Fort Collins
For patients who are not good candidates for laser vision correction, we frequently recommend the STAAR® Visian ICL (Implantable Collamer Lens) procedure.
What is Visian ICL?
- Visian ICL surgery is a corrective procedure that can effectively cure myopia (nearsightedness).
- During this procedure, an eye surgeon will implant a collamer lens directly behind the iris in order to correct vision issues with objects at close range.
- Patients experience an immediate improvement in vision quality and are “Wowed” by the results.
- The recovery for the Visian ICL is quick and pain-free, and may be as little as one day, due to the very small opening required. Patients typically experience minimal discomfort, and many times go back to work the next day.
An Alternative to LASIK
For years, the only method of permanent vision correction that didn’t involve glasses or contacts was corrective LASIK laser eye surgery. With the advent of the Visian ICL, however, that’s all changed. Not only is there now a new alternative, but the Visian ICL may actually produce superior vision quality. It’s vision that’s sharper, clearer, more vivid and has greater depth and dimension in a simple, 15-minute outpatient procedure.
If your corneas aren’t appropriate for LASIK surgery, then the STAAR® Visian ICL may be an excellent alternative. While LASIK involves cutting and removing eye tissue that cannot be replaced, concerns involving the cornea typically do not apply to the Visian ICL. In fact, no natural corneal tissue is permanently removed or reshaped in any way during implantation of the Visian ICL.
With these FDA approved devices, a tiny contact lens is inserted inside the eye, where it remains permanently. Studies show that ICL corrected vision is sometimes better than with glasses or LASIK. Another benefit to ICL is that the procedure is reversible, whereas LASIK is not. One of the important advantages of the Visian ICLis that while it can permanently correct your vision, in the unlikely event that an ICL patient experiences negative side effects after surgery, the lens can be removed and/or replaced if necessary.
The Visian ICL is the procedure of choice for patients who need and expect high quality results in performance and safety. When STAAR® Surgical, the manufacturers of the Visian ICL, asked patients to rate their experience, over 99% were satisfied with their results with the Visian ICL and 100% of US military personnel surveyed believe they function and perform better since they received the Visian ICL. When compared to other surgical vision correction procedures, the Visian ICL delivers sharper vision and high patient satisfaction.
Am I a Candidate for Visian ICL?
Good candidates for the Visian ICL include patients who:
- Are between the ages of 21 and 45.
- Are nearsighted with or without astigmatism* or farsighted*, including those with mild, moderate, and severe myopia (as low as -3D to as high as -20D prescription) with minor or no occurrence of astigmatism. The Visian Toric ICLTM, capable of correcting myopia with astigmatism, is currently under review with the U.S. FDA. The Visian TICLTM is currently available only outside of the United States.
- Have sufficient anterior chamber depth and acceptable endothelial cell density (this will be determined by an ophthalmologist after a comprehensive eye exam).
- Have not had a change in their eyeglass prescription of more than 0.5D in a year.
- Are not currently pregnant.
- Have no other contraindications including no known allergies to medications used during refractive surgery.
- Have dry eyes, severe myopia, or a thin cornea (non-LASIK candidate).
After a comprehensive eye examination, Dr. Cutarelli will discuss various refractive surgery options including the implantation of a lens like the Visian ICL, and/or LASIK laser refractive surgery. Based on your correction needs, eye health, medical history, and desired outcome for refractive surgery, Dr. Cutarelli will determine if you are a good candidate for the Visian ICL.